Friday, July 01, 2005

Gals with Guns

For a little recreation last night, I took part in Ladies' Night. No, it wasn't at a local watering hole. Rather, a group of us got together out at the shooting range.

No, I am not kidding. Each Thursday is Ladies' Night, specifically for Annie Oakley Sure Shots at the shooting range north of Phoenix. I attended a one hour introduction to firearm safety with about nine other women. Then we hit the range where they gave us 50 rounds of .22 ammo and our pick of revolvers, semi-automatics or rifles. I chose the semi-automatic Ruger. I did pretty well. I hadn't shot a gun since I went out shooting in the woods with my brother in Georgia. Of course, I don't think the targets were more than 10 yards away, so I should have done all right.

Now that I am a member of the Sure Shots (a firearm program for women, by women), I can shoot free Thursday nights from 7-9. I can use their guns, but I am thinking about getting my own piece. I have to do some shopping around though.

The interesting group of volunteer women out there who help make the program possible range from older, mature women who looked fairly normal to one woman who possibly had received a gunshot wound to the head in 1986 which left her stuck with feathered hair, thick green eyeliner, tight jeans, sequined top and a lacy scarf tied around her waist. Odd group, those gals. Helpful though - I have to give them that. Debbie, from the 80s, even let her newbies shoot her "baby Eagle." I have no idea what it is, but it's loud.

The coaches gave us information on upcoming special sessions at the range. They offer a pistol class and a rifle class and some other programs. I laughed when one woman mentioned the machine gun class. She didn't crack a smile. I swear as she was listing the types she said something about an "Israeli made" machine gun. Why? Why would we need this? I have no idea, but it's likely a rare experience. I may look into it.

Guess I will report back after next Thursday. I do plan to go back. Guns are fun.

1 comment:

Bat said...

Gals with guns??? Wow. I'm speechless.