Thursday, June 30, 2005

Self-diagnosis

I think I speak for a few of us when I say we have a tendency to fall into the self-diagnosis trap. We read about some ailment, see the symptoms, compare them to our situations and realize we are afflicted. Most of us don't do this everyday (those people are hypochondriacs for crying out loud), but some of us run across a plausible disease, and we sometimes see a link.

I don't usually fully diagnose myself as having the problem at that moment. Instead, I see the warning signs and realize I will likely contract the disease before too long. I go into this long description because I am telling you all right now, before it even happens, I will catch MRSA. What the hell is it, you all gasp. Oh, just a little infection that is resistant to most antibiotics and can take on a flesh-eating form.

Actually, I am pretty safe when it comes to this because I wash my hands, bathe, use soap, don't share towels, etc. I made it almost all the way through the People article (a damn reputable source for medical advice) without fear or worry. I scoffed at the poor, dirty souls who became infected. Then I read the quote from a Dad whose sons both contracted it. Al said, "If your kid has a painful pimple, see a doctor. Don't wait, because MRSA won't."

I put the magazine down and thought to myself, "I've had painful pimples. Hell, I have one right now" - the kind that develop deep under the surface, turn red and swell a little.

Life can just be so damn miserable. Not only am I a 29- (soon-to-be-30) year-old with constant bouts of acne, but I am going to die from it. I write this not as a sad mourning of my life but a warning for those of you out there with pimples that hurt. Good luck and good riddance.

5 comments:

Bat said...

I wouldn't worry about the MRSA, its VRE you gotta be concerned about.

Jodie Donner said...

Ok, so you're going to feed my sickness. What the hell is VRE?

Jodie Donner said...

I did a tiny bit of research, and you, my friend, are far more at risk for VRE than I!

Bat said...

I'm much more at risk for a whole lot of things, but Vancomycin is the end of the line for antibiotics, if VRE becomes resistant to anything else, we are screwed. Never, never miss use antibiotics. .......... Ok, I went on a huge rant about miss use of antibiotics, realized that you are an intelligent person, and erased it. By the way, fungal infections can be very very bad too. Imagine a yeast infection on your brain.

Jodie Donner said...

I appreciate your sparing me the rant due to my intelligence. I definitely say no to antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I wish everyone else did, but as we both know, people are stupid.

Fungal infections, yeast on the brain. What would I have to do to get that? You do realize you're going to keep me up tonight, don't you?