Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Unexplained Phenomenon

I decided to take advantage of the lovely 81 degree day and take a walk this afternoon. As I did so, I walked farther north than normal and passed through a neighborhood where I witnessed an inexplicable phenomenon. That's right - the male hangout in the garage.

Three different homes with their garage doors opened revealed little male havens within, equipped with recliners (or reclining couch for one lucky guy), televisions, refrigerators and beer signs on the walls. One garage was spotless with a shiny floor, area rug, stand-alone air conditioner and microwave. One garage was not occupied. Since the garage had a fridge in it, I imagine the only thing that would have caused Jimbo to go in was the need to relieve himself. I saw one guy sitting alone in his garage, about 2 feet in front of the tv, eating a meal off of a footstool. Another guy was sitting in his garage with a couple of his buddies.

These sights had me asking a few questions as I walked by these little hideaways.

1. Is the garage really another living room?

2. Do I actually live in a much larger house? Should I include the garage when I calculate square footage?

3. What causes men to spend their evenings relaxing in the same place most people park cars and store tools, lawn chemicals and bug sprays?

4. What's wrong with the INSIDE of the house? Just too damn comfortable? Doesn't provide a good enough view of the driveway?

5. Do men only do this in Phoenix?

6. Do the women in these households really have that much power that the men can't watch tv and drink beer on the new furniture?

That pretty much sums up the wonderings of my mind. I would appreciate any help in answering these critical-to-life questions.

2 comments:

Bat said...

I can't believe that I even need to comment on this. Men will always have a retreat. Generally it's a place where women have no interest in going. I have spent many a night under my car just to escape. It isn't pretty, but its a fact.

Jodie Donner said...

Ok, you said "under your car." Were you actually working out there or sometimes working but sometimes enjoying the time to yourself? That I understand. What I don't understand is having a little home away from home in the garage. If it's truly a guy thing, I will quit my bitching and just realize that's how it is.