Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My Teeth, My Pain

Yanking out each tooth in my mouth, one by one, is an inviting thought right now. I visited the dentist for the third time in less than three weeks today. Obviously I am not yet satsified with the outcome of these visits.

It started so innocently, routine really. I had a small cavity in my back molar, top left side. I went in for the filling, a small one, the dentist said. It went fine. No problems. Then the pain hit. My jaw ached and cold and/or hot made me cringe. I tried to deal with it and made myself deal because we went on vacation. What could I do there? I took shit loads of ibuprofen, that's what I did.

We arrived home Sunday, late. At 10:30 am Monday, I was in the dentist's chair getting an adjustment. I had to go back today for another adjustment. Both sides of my mouth ache. I can't explain it. The dentist can't explain it. The x-ray showed the tooth should be fine. She uttered the miserable words - root canal. Yet she said that seemed improbable. So, here I sit with the pain, the ache, the dull gnawing sensation.

I finally realize why people are afraid of the dentist. Next time I will have more sense.

No comments: