Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Dreaming of Days Gone By

My recent trip back to Wyoming has made me miss my carefree childhood and happy high school times. I miss certain parts of living there, which I realized as I spent time taking in the country, breathing the fresh air, spending time outdoors and taking pride in my home state.

This always happens when I go back there. I remember the good times and think that I could recreate them for myself, for my daughter. Of course, that usually doesn't happen, but I imagine it anway.

Wyoming is great. The summer weather is perfect. It was in the 80s or 90s in the day then cooled to 50-60 at night while we were there. Crime is much less. My daughter could walk anywhere, ride a bike all over, without worry. Schools are small, safe and good. Family is there. Good memories are there.

As much as I let the nostalgia reign supreme, I know I could never move back to the small town of my youth.
A few reasons:
1. The wind blows all the damn time - makes people cranky.
2. I would have nowhere to shop.
3. Winter.
4. Zero professional sports teams reside in the state.
5. The closest large airport is over 3 hours away.
6. Mosquitoes.
7. I couldn't find a job.
8. If I did find a job, it would pay $10,000 less a year.
9. Everything is run-down or will be that way soon - stores, houses, schools.
10. You can't recreate the past (to quote Nick in The Great Gatsby).

It's been six years since we moved to the scorching desert (98 degrees at 9:30 am today). Of course, as one might figure, I have some complaints about here. The fact is, the grass is always greener. I don't care where I live, I am sure I will always think some other place offers better weather, less living costs, a better life. Whether that's the average person's belief or the cynic's belief, I don't know. I just know I usually imagine what is not me, what is not mine, is better.

4 comments:

Bat said...

I had a friend that did some travel nursing in Cheyenne. (sp?) He was there one full summer working in the ICU. They wanted him to stay, but he talked to some of the locals and they told him to get out before the winter came. Apparently the number one injury in the winter is something called "gate whip." The ranchers go out to move the cows or emus or whatever and they turn their back on the gate. The wind catches the gate and slams it into their back hard enough to send them to the hospital. Sounds like a rough winter to me.

Jodie Donner said...

I lived in Cheyenne (correct on your spelling - A+ for you) for a few years but grew up in a town north of there. I can honestly say I have never heard of "gate whip" but it seems to make sense. Gusts of wind up to 80 mph (no exaggeration) do tend to move things pretty quickly. Poor suckers - there's another reason for not going back.

Now excuse me while I look out the window at 111 degrees.

Bat said...

But it's a dry 111 degrees

Jodie Donner said...

Cute. Real cute.