Sunday, June 19, 2011

Things Puzzle Me, Namely This

Some people think my name is Donna.

This has occurred in the past, and I have recently had three people refer to me as Donna. If this happens, once or twice, a person can easily dismiss it and move on. More than four times prompt me to truly consider why this would continue.

I introduce myself as Jodie Donner. Most of these people have seen my name in print and/or have emailed me. Even so, they call me Donna. This might make some sense if I approached someone and said, "My name is Donner, Jodie Donner. Nice to meet you." Since this is atypical and totally outside social norms, I don't do this.

Often times, people shorten last names into nicknames. Bob Murphy might simply become Murph to friends. Some people might even implement the surname with a twist and call Mike Gordan Gordie. This is not what's happening. These are not good friends of mine who put a little twist on my last name and decide Donna is a cute and clever moniker.

Is this a unique occurrence with my name? Do other people find themselves answering to awkwardly truncated versions of their last names? Does Laurie Jensen become Jenny to others? Do colleagues refer to Michelle Patterson as Patty?

Thinking about my maiden name, Boeckel, in which the "o" is silent, it just hit me that people sometimes called me Becky. Is Jodie just not good enough for a first name? Maybe it simply doesn't work for some in that capacity. Becky and Donna must sound better.

If I only had a surname that would shorten to a masculine name, I am sure this would quit happening. Then again, I could be Jodie Richardson and people would call me Dick.

No comments: